Sunday, September 7, 2014

The Inspired Writer!


Everyone has experienced the Inspired Writer in one way or another, everyone believes that some people are just naturally gifted writers. However, there are always misconceptions when people are uninformed. Misconceptions about published writers include always feeling the need to write. People perceive writers as always wanting to write, no matter when or where they might be. This leads into the next misconception, they do not have writers block, and are able to write continuously as they want, for they will always have ideas flowing. Another misconception includes that they will not make mistakes when the write, for they have perfect grammar and the first time they right, everything will be perfect and no revisions will be necessary.  I believed in these misconceptions just like many others. My teacher last year helped me through some of them though. My toughest writing assignment was my senior year research paper in high school. My teacher pushed us to think critically and create the best possible piece of writing we could do. He made sure we we’re making inferences and not just stating facts, or “fancy facts”. I was pushed to my limits to write that paper, and because of all the work I put into it, it came out great.

Allen’s writing process seemed very lost when she got to college. She didn’t really learn any new ways of revision that what she had learned in high school. She felt like she was trudging through writing, it didn’t seem to come natural to her, which she believed meant she wasn’t going to be a good writer, thanks to her idea of the inspired writer. I am surprised she didn’t see herself as a good writer in college. If she didn’t think she was that good, I would have assumed she would have switched majors to something else she thought she could be good at, instead of sticking with a major she thought she was bad at. As she grew up she adapted to a writing formula, which she still recommends and uses. The writing formula starts off with an introduction telling the reader why the paper is going to be important. Stating what the problem of the paper’s topic is the next step in the formula. The next part of the formula is to choose two examples of your topic to show how the problem affects people and/or the environment/surroundings. Next, identify the most common problem with the topic, and how it has tried to be addressed before. Finally, address the problem from a new (your) perspective, and how you would deal with the problem. When this process becomes too restrictive, she turns to other readers, however they need to be accredited. The author’s reason for writing seems to be wanting to communicate with people and share why she believes her ideas are important. My reasons for writing vary. If it is assigned writing about certain topic I don’t find interesting, my writing will suffer. However, if I am passionate about what I am writing about, it will turn out significantly better. 

2 comments:

  1. I totally understand your struggle with writing, I've had a similar situation! In my senior year, I had to write an essay on the globalization of Malaysia in no less than 8 pages. I've had to do content heavy essays before, but those were only about 2-3 pages at most, using basic 5 paragraph structure. It was hard to dive into a new structure and system of writing, and it was a lot of work - most of which made my writing look clumsy and out of control. But with hard work and practice and constant revisions with my writing teacher, it all paid off and I felt immense relief when it was all over that I had accomplished something great. Great review and happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar experience with my senior research paper! It was meant to embody everything we had learned in high school and be perfectly edited as well as lengthy and packed with research. Even though I was writing about a topic I was very passionate about, the whole thing was very overwhelming. It was especially hard because I couldn't use the five paragraph structure I usually stuck to, instead I had to add to that and make a new structure for such a long essay. Like you said though, my teacher helped me through the entire process and pushed my limits to write the best paper I have ever written, and I am so proud of it.

    ReplyDelete